Hope Sports is devoted to a two-pronged mission: 1) To engage professional athletes in community service, providing them with an opportunity to connect meaningfully to a world beyond their athletic career, and 2) To build homes for low-income families in around the world. Through their collective efforts, individual athletes and sports teams collaborate on projects that inspire them to live with a greater purpose and heart of service
What Makes Hope Sports Unique?
Competing organizations provide support for athletes only after they’ve completed their athletic careers. Hope Sports gets athletes involved at any stage of their careers to begin building a purposeful and guided life. By the time they are at the end of their sports careers, our participants will have constructed sustainable identities that are not centered on their professional achievements, making the transition to life after sports much smoother.
Hope Sports is the only comprehensive program that helps athletes achieve emotional, mental, and social stability outside of their life in sports. By helping athletes redefine their identity through the broader lens of service and relationships, we give them the tools to succeed off of the field, touching every aspect of their lives.
Hope Sports’ programs are rigorously reviewed by Thrive Center for Human Development, a research center that evaluates program effectiveness and provides recommendations for optimal impact. Through this partnership, Hope Sports is committed to delivering high-quality, impact centered programs. We offer long-lasting results for our participants by fostering a future generation of healthy and balanced athletes.
To measure the impacts of the Hope Sports program on physical health of impoverished families and mental health of professional athletes, a comprehensive evaluation plan exists as summarized below:
Quantitative Evaluation Methods:
- Tracking of participating athlete social media activity regarding attitudes, mental health awareness, and behavioral change
- Pre and post surveys to assess athlete self-identity, emotional wellbeing, mental health awareness, and behavioral change
- Counting and tracking demographic data, numbers served, participant return rate, and participant referrals
Qualitative Evaluation Methods:
- Individual debrief sessions with each participating athlete after the build is complete
- Quarterly follow-ups with recipient families to assess physical and mental health within each family
Through these methods, Hope Sports continually identifies areas of strength and improvement, and uses data gleaned from these processes to inform development and enhancement of the Hope Sports program on an ongoing basis.
Helping Local Communities
While our athletes benefit hugely from a Hope Sports trip, it’s the families moving into the new homes whose lives are impacted the most. A combination of local and external resources working together is essential to achieve transformational and sustainable change for the families.
Benefits For Athletes:
The home build program experience encourages a purpose-based identity for participating athletes in three primary ways:
- Emphasizing that service to others in need is a way to find purpose in life.
- Highlighting the role that relationships play to create resilience to overcome life’s challenges and build a sustainable future for themselves and others.
- Providing the context to help participants redefine their self-worth through non-sporting activities.
By helping athletes discover their self-worth beyond their sports accomplishments and medals, athletes begin to appreciate and value their place in society beyond their athletic pursuits.
Benefits For Recipient Families:
We work closely with Homes of Hope to select recipient families, manage a team of professional builders, and handle the logistics of constructing the homes.
Transitioning from homeless to having a home has dramatic impact on the families we serve, including:
- Dramatically improving health for families, especially the children.
- Giving children a higher chance to pursue a basic education which has a cumulative effect on economic earning potential over the course of their lives.
- Freeing up resources in the family for necessities such as clothing, food and school supplies.
- Allowing families to provide more support to their neighbors which has a ripple effect across entire communities.
After a home is complete, a moving dedication ceremony is held to hand over the keys to the benefitting family and celebrate their new home together.
Leadership Development Program
Benefits For Athletes
Hope Sports’ Leadership Development Program is a 6-month, virtual curriculum that teaches athletes how to build purpose-based lives. This curriculum allows Hope Sports’ mission and values to be accessed by professional athletes worldwide so that anyone can build a purpose-based identity outside of sports.
The goal of Hope Sports’ Leadership Development Program is to advocate and spread the importance of living a purpose-based, rather than a performance-based life. Through the organization’s curriculum, athletes will be able to gain a new perspective on their life outside of sports and build the foundation for purpose outside of their athletic career.
Benefits For Coaches
Hope Sports’ Leadership Development Program will also be available as an operation manual for coaches who seek to turn their sports team into a Hope Sports Certified Team. After completing the course, coaches will receive recognition as a Hope Sports Certified Team that is implementing and teaching purpose-based practices to create a more balanced sports team.